Wednesday, May 14, 2014

I stood there face-to-face with the pistol. “You don’t love me,” she said “you never did!” “I do, I’ve always loved you!” I said convincingly. Her hands shook as sweat rolled down her face. My audience, in shock, feared for their lives. “You gave me away, you never came back for me!” Her words sent me back to the day when the decision was made.
 “I’m gon’ be a famous R&B singer!” I said happily. “Not with that belly. What makes you think you will amount to anything in life?” Her words were like knives stabbing me in the heart. “I believe,” I said as I lowered my head. “Well don’t, you ain’t gon’ be shit!” she shot back. I hated her, I hated her with a passion. She was a cruel bat for no reason. We continued to argue, getting louder with each statement. “You’re not having this baby,” she said as she punched me in the stomach. I ran out of the house, having no intentions of returning. I had no idea as to where I was going, so I walked until my legs couldn’t carry me anymore. I couldn’t have this baby, I didn’t even have a home. I slept on a bench that night. The next morning I went to the doctor for an abortion. “You’re already too far along to have an abortion, maybe you should consider adoption,” the doctor explained, only trying to help. I didn't want to give my baby away, but I had no choice. I wasn’t fit to care for this baby. She began to question me about the baby's father and my living situation. "Stay out of my business, will ya!" I shouted, feeling attacked. She threw her hands up in defense, "I'm only trying to help!" I got up and left. I felt like the world was against me.
"HEY! HEY! You're still not listening!" She shouted at me. Suddenly my attention was back on the gun pointed at my forehead. I didn't understand why she hated me so much. Why did she decide to come back and kill me now, in front of my fans? "I couldn't take care of you, I was a baby myself. I didn't have a home, money, or a mother. I gave you away so that you could have a better life. I didn't want you to suffer just because I was," I tried explaining. "Don't you listen to my music? My songs are about you." "No! Stop!" She interrupted, shaking her head. "You ruined my life! You weren't there! I called for you every night while he was in my room, you never came!" I took a step towards her, reaching for a hug. I was speechless. My baby, they took my baby's innocence. I felt her pain.
"Every night I sat in my bed, knees pulled to my chest, hoping that he would not come home. Every night I lost hope. A tear rolled down my cheek each time he stuck his key in the lock. The nights when he came home drunk were the worst. He stumbled in my room every night. It became a routine. I called for you, "MOM!... MOM! ... HELP! ... PLEASE!" "Who you calling for?" He yelled as he covered my mouth. "She gave you up, remember? She don't love you! It's up to me to love you, so that's what I'm doing!" He constantly reminded me that you gave me away, so now I'm here to remind you!"

No comments:

Post a Comment